Wednesday, December 2, 2015

My NaNoFiMo

As you may recall, I didn't attempt NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year, although I did set a goal to finish the first draft of my novel, which was already started, by the end of November. I felt like I was fading down the home stretch and wanted to challenge myself to complete the first draft. Tagging along on the coat-tails of NaNoWriMo, I dubbed my fictional endeavor NaNoFiMo, as in National Novel Finishing Month. Since I don't keep a writing log or journal, I decided to document my results here, so I can look back at this post, once I forget the details.

My goal for November was 1,000 words a day, and although I fell short of 30,000 words for the month, and didn't finish the first draft by my self-imposed deadline, I did come close. For the month, I wrote 24,912 words (830 words per day), which is 5,088 words shy of my goal. I know it seems like I'm fixating on the numbers (I'm a bit of a statistics nerd), but I'm also looking at the results as a way to measure my progress and forecast a realistic writing schedule going forward.

The bust in my goal was expecting to write every day for 30 consecutive days. I ended up not writing anything on seven days in November. I blame part of the failure on my oversight of a birthday and a national holiday (as well as an exceptionally good month for my Spartan Football and Basketball teams). The upside is that for the 23 days in November that I did write, I beat my goal of 1,000 words per day (1,083 wpd, for you numbers freaks).

So what's the lesson I learned? I enjoyed challenging myself, and didn't set a goal so high that it turned writing into drudgery (which I fear a full NaNoWriMo would have). I also found the upper limits of my current productivity level and came close to finishing the first draft. The 5,088 words I fell short still wouldn't have been enough to finish the first draft, since, as of now, I estimate I still need at least 10,000 more words to finish.

Based on the data, I hope to finish the first draft by the end of the year. Since December will be a busier month for me with vacation and holiday travel, a 10,000-word month seems like a challenging, yet achievable goal. In a month from now, we'll see how I fared.

The first draft of Warlock & Wyrm sits at 78,773 words, with 26 out of 31 chapters completed. Now, on to December!


My NaNoFiMo - Hello Reader of 4concpoesiaecsps, In the article you read this time with the title My NaNoFiMo, We have prepared this article for you to read and retrieve information therein. Hopefully the contents of postings We write this you can understand. well, happy reading.

Title : My NaNoFiMo
link : My NaNoFiMo

Read Also


My NaNoFiMo



So this article My NaNoFiMo

The article My NaNoFiMo this time, Hopefully can give benefits to all of you. well, see you in other articles.

You are now reading the article My NaNoFiMo with the link address http://4concpoesiaecsps.blogspot.com/2015/12/my-nanofimo.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment